Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thankful Thursday: The Grown Up Edition

Today is Thursday.  Thanksgiving.  The Day of Thanks.  I've actually been working on this post for almost 2 weeks now.  I have been reflecting on those things that I have in my life that I'm thankful for and I have really been realizing how incredibly blessed I am.  Despite the trials and tribulations that I may experience in life, I have alot to be Thankful for.  So, here is my list of things that I'm giving thanks for today (and everyday!):


  • First and foremost, I'm thankful that I have a beautiful, healthy, intelligent, funny, sweet and just overall precious little boy who I am blessed to call me "Mom" everyday.  I love that little boy more than words could ever express and he makes my heart want to explode on a regular basis.  Sometimes, he makes my head want to explode, but my heart feels it much more!
  • I am Thankful that I have been able to hold it together during this last year.  I have gone through alot and somehow I've managed to keep it all together. 
  • I am Thankful that I have two parents (four if you include my step parents who are equally as great!) who support me in the decisions that I make and they stand by me throughout life.  I have been blessed that my parents have raised me to be a stronger individual than I even realize at times. 
  • I am thankful that said parents (see above) have the means to financially protect me from some very scary things that could happen if ever the time came that I could not financially care for myself and my son.  Being a single mom is terrifying for me in the money department.  There have been times that I have really questioned whether I was going to be able to do it.  Just knowing that my parents are there to help me if I ever needed it has made this whole process so much better.  I'm truly Thankful that the thought of ever having to live on the streets (I'm a drama queen, okay?!) isn't something I have to realistically think about. 
  • I'm thankful that I have a job doing what I love to do and one that allows me to live a decent life.  I do not live a glamorous life by any means but I feel so blessed to have a full time job that at least allows me to pay my basic bills.  So many single mothers do not have this advantage and they find themselves working multiple jobs just to make ends meet. 
  • I'm thankful for a boss who supports me both professionally and personally.  I don't think she realizes just how awesome I think she is and how much I look up to her. 
  • I'm thankful that my son has an active and involved father.  He can be a total poo-head in the relationship (or even friend) department but he's a great father to our son.  Our son has two very active and involved parents who love him more than life itself.  I follow several blogs of other single moms who, unfortunately, do not have the same level of fatherly involvement for their children.  While it can DEFINITELY be a huge pain in the rear to have to coordinate every.little.thing regarding my son with his father (who insists on being involved in every.little.thing), it's good for my son and he needs it.  So, I bite my tongue and deal with it. 
  • I'm thankful for my girlfriends who love me unconditionally.  They lift me up when I am down and they make me drink when I need to forget about what made me down!  Kidding. . .kind of.  My friends are so much fun to be around and I love them and am so Thankful that they put up with me. 
  • I'm thankful for my blog followers who make this experience so much richer than it would be if I posted out to dead space.  My readers give me inspiration and support to keep going even when I have fallen off track for a little bit. 
  • I am so thankful that I found a way to stay in school and will be finishing my degree in May 2012!  Yay!  When my ex and I split, I initially thought that I would have to quit school.  But, I was committed to finishing what I had started as it meant so much to me personally and it will allow me to pursue more options professionally.  So, I adopted a "make it work" approach.  I also have to admit that my ex has been fabulous about coordinating my school schedule with me and he really does his part to take care of our son while I'm in school.  He definitely deserves some credit here because without his support both before and after our split, I don't think I could have done it. 
  • I'm thankful to God for showing me strength in those times that I don't think I have any.  I'm a stronger woman than I ever realized.  I learn so much about myself and life everyday and I'm blessed to be who I am. 
On this day of Thanks, what are you Thankful for?  I want to wish everyone a Happy & Safe Thanksgiving!  I hope you are all spending this day with the ones closest to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments, I want your comments, I need your comments. . .BUT I will delete all comments that are rude, mean, negative, or inappropriate in any way. Afterall, my Mom and Nana just might be reading!